Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 4 on the Unfamiliar Planet

Here I sit, in Aunt and Uncle's kitchen. Today was a good day. I'm learning my way around slowly but surely, despite the fact that even the most basic of directions from here to there leaves me completely lost. Fortunately, Aunt let me borrow her Garmin. Unfortunately, sometimes I ignore it and just explore, which does not help me find the desired destination. And then, sometimes, I just turn it off and wander about, and let serendipity take its beautiful course.

Which is how I found the library! I followed the Garmin to a thrift shop, because I had nothing to do today after my job interview, and I felt like a thrift shop would be a cool place. I secretly love them. They're so thrifty and stuff. So I went in and almost bought a dresser. I'm not sure if I need a dresser or not...but I loved this one. And when I left there, I went across the street to leech the Wifi from the McDonald's that was conveniently right there. As I sat in the semi-creepy and fairly deserted parking lot, I glanced up, only to see the local library! Which, of course, I immediately went to.

So, they have a really small theatre section. Really, really small. I thought that College of the Ozarks had a limited selection...but this was sad. However, they totally made up for it with stacks upon stacks of other great books, a decently sized media center and amazingly comfy chairs. I may be homeless, but at least I got a library card today, by golly! :D I checked out a book called Rat Bohemia, which is proving to be a really, really good fiction about a group of friends in New York.

I also discovered the joys of Panera today, and perused Borders. I came so close to buying the RENT selections piano/vocal book that it was painful! But it was like...RENT, or rent. Take your pick. Oh, responsibility, how you abuse me! But I still got a chai tea latte, and sat in Panera and ate a salad, so it's okay.

Job interview went great, by the way. The lady said she would hire me on the spot if a second interview wasn't a requirement. I expect to be working full-time by next week. On top of that, I put in a part-time application at a Dunkin' Donuts I found. I was so happy to have found it...you have no idea. The guy behind the counter seemed kinda hopeful about it, too, which made me feel good.

No comments: